Skip to main content

'Picture This': About a Mobile App

'Picture This' is an app that can identify 1,000,000+ plants daily with over 98% accuracy. It is like a personal plant expert in your pocket! I'm not a seasoned gardener and this app has helped in picking flowers that go well with certain veggies. It has also helped me name and learn about plants in passing on our family walks. This app has helped me name and learn about the many trees we have on the paths of the Nisqually Wildlife Refuge nature trails. It's also helped me learn about native plant species in my area. In my opinion it's been better than google when wanting to get down and dirty with plants, shrubs and trees. Bonus, it even provides plant care tips!

A few other features that I have found to be helpful are the "Toxic Plants", "Allergies Plants" and the 'Tips' section such as how to keep pests away from your flowerpots; really beneficial. I found it wonderful that the app wants to aid in protecting curious kiddos and pets by keeping them away from plants that are toxic or harmful to them. Since adopting a pair of cats, a couple years ago I now know certain plants to no longer purchase.

After you first download the app, this is the screen you're greeted with.

After scrolling down these are the next menus you will come across...

I hope I've inspired you to download the app and try it out for yourself!

Citations: (n.d.). Picture This. Picturethisai. Retrieved July 3, 2024, from https://www.picturethisai.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A little bit about the Nisqually Watershed

Nisqually Wildlife Refuge  Photo taken by Shelby Johnson The Nisqually River stretches 78-miles. The rivers run along forested, mountainous terrain and farmlands in three counties, many small towns, the Nisqually Indian Reservation and Joint Base Lewis McChord. All before entering the Puget Sound.  The Nisqually River is fed by five different glacier points on Mount Rainer and flows into south Puget Sound through Nisqually Wildlife Refuge. Of which is the largest estuary restoration project on the Pacific Coast. The Nisqually River is the only one in the United States where its headwaters is fed from melted water in a nation park. It remains as one of the healthiest and least developed of the major Puget Sound rivers.  Under the 1972 Washington State Shorelands Management Act, the river and its tributaries are home to five native salmon species. Which are, the Chinook, coho, chum, pink salmon and steelhead trout. Some of the at-risk species found in the watershed are Chinook salmon, st

Starting a Nonprofit in Washington State

In this blog I will lay out steps, tasks, and roles within the given timeline you'd need, so that you can successfully set up a natural resource conservation or preservation nonprofit organization in Washington state . Summary Timeline Overview: 1. Research and Planning: 1-2 months 2. Form a Board of Directors: 1 month 3. Legal Incorporation: 1 month 4. Apply for Tax-Exempt Status: 3-6 months 5. Develop Organizational Infrastructure: 2-3 months 6. Fundraising Strategy: Ongoing 7. Marketing and Outreach: Ongoing 8. Launch Programs and Activities: Ongoing 9. Evaluation and Reporting: Ongoing 10. Compliance and Governance: Ongoing I'm going to imagine I'm setting one up and I'd call it: "Evergreen Conservation Alliance" (ECA) Step 1: Research and Planning Task: Define mission, vision, and objectives. Role: Founders, Board of Directors Timeline: 1-2 months Research: Conduct research on natural resource issues in Washington state

Web Soil Survey

Beginner Web Soil Survey Experience The video ^, provided by our professor was very helpful at explaining how to use the web soil survey website. My blog's area is the Nisqually Wildlife Refuge, I'd assume it has healthy soil, or I would at least like to think. However, they did not have information on that area, so my AOI for this assignment was 'Joint Base Lewis McChord' (JBLM). From navigating the website, I appreciate that soil surveys conducted prior to 2008 are archived and it clearly states how to access that information on their website. When a website is easy to use and navigate, it naturally will be used more. Next, I mapped out my AOI. Then, I clicked on the "Download Soil Data" Tab. When you download the soil survey information many folders get downloaded. Two being labeled as 'Spatial' and another as 'Tabular'. The Spatial table is a table containing geometry information; and its features can be seen on a map. The Tabu